Chili Soup Jarlsberg
Contributed by: NAPSA
No Place-As Tasty As-Home
(NAPSA) - Here's food for thought: the next time you're snuggling with a significant other-or relaxing with a group of close friends-the food should fit the mood.
A hearty soup, hot bread and perhaps a crisp green salad certainly fill the bill. Soup can be prepared in advance so there's minimal fussing in the kitchen, bread pre-sliced and spread with herb butter or dipped in olive oil, salad fixings washed, dried and refrigerated in plastic bags.
One sure to please option is Chili Soup Jarlsberg. Chock-full of lean beef and healthy vegetables, mildly spiced yet zesty, it owes that mellow richness to classic Jarlsberg cheese. Characterized by delicate, nutty flavor, smooth melting Jarlsberg is made from part-skim milk so it's comparatively low in calories and fat. The cheese helps blend and bind other ingredients-and results are irresistible.
Whether you're cocooning or entertaining casually, watching the game or just kicking back, what could be simpler-double the recipe for a crowd. Essentially a one-pot meal, this offers another delicious reason to stay home.
- 1 pound round steak, diced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 each medium red and green pepper, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable or beef broth or stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups fresh, seeded and chopped Roma tomatoes OR 16-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 16-ounce can dark red kidney beans, drained
- 1 teaspoon each cumin, coriander and chili powder
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Jarlsberg cheese
In large deep saucepan, saute beef in olive oil until brown on all sides. Add peppers and onion and saute 3-4 minutes. Add broth and simmer 10 minutes. Add next four ingredients, stir, cover and simmer 20 minutes.
Gradually blend in 1 cup cheese until just melted.
Ladle soup into bowls. Top with remaining cheese.
Serving Size: Makes 6 Servings