Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - Start your day off right with a breakfast containing foods from 3 of the 4 food groups to fuel your mind and your body. Granola can be prepared in advance and refrigerated to provide a quick and versatile solution for breakfast and snacks. For breakfast, serve with milk or yogurt and a glass of juice. Or pack in a lunch bag or portable container for a handy mid-morning snack or to sprinkle on yogurt.
- 1-1/4 cups rolled oats 300 mL
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut 75 mL
- 1/4 cup wheat germ 50 mL
- 1/4 cup wheat flakes 50 mL
- 2 tbsp sliced almonds 25 mL
- 2 tbsp unsalted sunflower seeds 25 mL
- 1/4 cup liquid honey 50 mL
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil 25 mL
- 1/3 cup dried raisins or cranberries 75 mL
In bowl, stir together rolled oats, coconut, wheat germ, wheat flakes, almonds and sunflower seeds.
In small saucepan, heat together honey and oil over medium-low heat; gradually stir into oat mixture until well coated. Spread on rimmed baking sheet; bake in 350 F (180 C) oven, stirring frequently, for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown.
Remove from oven to rack; stir in raisins. Let cool, stirring occasionally to prevent clumping. (Granola can be refrigerated in airtight container for up to one month)
Serving Size: Makes about 3 cups (750mL)