Black Bart's Souper Black Bean Soup
Contributed by: News Canada
You Donít Know Beans!
(NC) - Looking for reasons to get your family to eat more legumes? It turns out that the skin on beans is not just an important source of fibre, itís rich in powerful nutrient compounds that may help prevent chronic diseases like cancer and heart disease. So haul out the old saucepan and start experimenting. From navy through to pinto, black and kidney, beans not only taste good, their benefits will be music to your ears!
- 1 can black or black turtle beans, drained and rinsed (19 oz/540 mL)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth (375 mL)
- 3/4 cup chunky salsa (180 mL)
- 1/2 cup corn niblets (125 mL)
- Dash of hot sauce (optional)
- Squirts of fresh lime juice (optional)
- 1 cup shredded Canadian Cheddar, Colby or Monterey Jack cheese (250 mL)
- 1/8 cup finely chopped green onions (30 mL)
Combine first 5 ingredients in saucepan and heat thoroughly. Spoon into 4 bowls. Add lime juice. Combine shredded cheese and green onions.
Portion on top of each serving.