Creamy Gingered Carrot Soup
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - What could be better than a bowl of warm soup on a cold day? This carrot soup has a velvety texture from potatoes and milk and a nice spicy flavour from the peanut butter.
- 1 tbsp peanut oil 15 mL
- 1 lb. baby carrots 500 g
- 2 stalks celery, chopped 2
- 1 large white or yellow onion, sliced
- 4 1/2 cups water 1.125 L
- 2 cups fat-free milk 500 mL
- 1 lb. baking potatoes, peeled and sliced 500 g (about 2 lg potatoes)
- 1/3 cup creamy peanut butter (with salt) 75 mL
- 2 tbsp minced fresh ginger 25 mL or 2 tsp/10 mL ground ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp salt 7 mL
- 1 1/2 tsp white pepper 7 mL
Place a stockpot over low heat; add the oil, carrots, celery, and onion; cover. Stir occasionally for 8 minutes, or until the onions are translucent.
Add the water, milk, potatoes, peanut butter, ginger, salt, and pepper. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat. Simmer, uncovered, until the veggies are tender, about 25 minutes.
In a blender, puree the soup in batches. Return the pureed soup to the clean stockpot. Adjust the seasonings. Heat through over low heat.
Serving Size: Makes 6 servings
Nutritional Information: Per Serving: (1/6 of total): 232 calories; 30 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 10 g fat (2 g saturated fat, 5 g monounsaturated fat); 1 mg cholesterol; 5 g fibre; 732 mg sodium