Costa Rican Beef & Vegetable Soup With Yellow Rice
Contributed by: Chris WebAdmin. of RecipesNow.com
- 2 lb Lean, boneless beef chuck in
- 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 lg Onion, thinly sliced
- 1 c Celery, thinly sliced
- 3 Cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Dry bay leaf
- 1 lg Red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin, bite-size strips
- 1 1/2 c Water
- 2 Cans (about 14 1/2 oz.@) beef broth
- Yellow Rice*
- 1 lg Ear corn, cut into 3/4 inch thick slices
- 4 c Coarsely shredded cabbage
- 1/3 c Lightly packed cilantro leaves
- Salt and pepper
Arrange beef cubes slightly apart in a single layer in a shallow baking pan. Bake in a 500 oven until well browned (about 20 minutes).
Meanwhile, in a 3 1/2 quart or larger crockpot, combine onion, celery, garlic, bay leaf and bell pepper.
Transfer browned beef to crockpot. Pour a little of the water into baking pan, stirring to dissolve drippings and pour into crockpot. Add broth and remaining water. Cover and cook on low about 8 hours. About 15 minutes before beef is done, prepare Yellow Rice.
While rice is cooking, increase cooker setting to high; add corn. Cover; cook for 5 minutes. Add cabbage; cover and cook until cabbage is bright green, 8 to 10 more minutes. Stir in cilantro; season with salt and pepper. Ladle soup into wide, shallow bowls; add a scoop of rice to each.
- 1 tablespoon salad oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 3/4 cups water
Heat oil in 2-quart pan over medium heat. Add the onion; cook, stirring until onion is soft but not browned, (3 to 5 minutes). Stir in the rice and tumeric; cook, stirring occasionally, for about 1 minute.
Pour in the water and reduce heat to low and cook until rice is tender, about 20 minutes.
Serving Size: Makes 6 Servings