Crisp Tofu with Maille Dijon Mustard Miso Sauce
Contributed by: News Canada
Maille mustard and Miso sauce
- 6 tbsp. Maille Dijon Originale mustard
- 2 tsp. Maille A l’Ancienne Wholegrain mustard
- 6 tbsp. mirin
- 1 1/2 tbsp. miso paste (white)
Combine all ingredients and reserve until ready to use.
- Crisp tofu
- 1 block (about 10 oz.) soft tofu, drained on cloth to absorb moisture
- 4 egg whites, whipped soft
- 2 cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs) or regular dried bread crumbs
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- flour to coat tofu
the tofu into 8 cubes and place on absorbent cloth. Make a breading station
with separate dishes of flour, egg whites and panko. First coat the tofu pieces
in flour, then into egg whites and finally into bread crumbs. Reserve for frying.
a small saucepan 1/2 inch full of vegetable oil and heat to 320°F. Place the
breaded tofu into the oil one at a time to avoid splattering. Cook until the
tofu is golden brown on both sides. Remove and drain on absorbent paper.
2 tbsp. of Maille Dijon Mustard Miso Sauce in a shallow serving bowl, set two
pieces of crisp tofu on top of sauce, garnish with chopped green onions and
pickled ginger. Repeat for other pieces of tofu.
Recipe developed for Maille, courtesy of Chris
Mills, executive chef at Diva at the Metropolitan Hotel (Vancouver, BC).
- News Canada