Three Layer Celebration Cake
Contributed by: News Canada
Celebrate with A 3 Layer Celebration Cake!
- 4 tsp (20 ml) instant coffee granules (optional)
- 1 1/4 cups (300 ml) milk
- 3 cups (750 ml) sifted Five Roses Cake and Pastry flour
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) sugar
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) margarine
- 6 egg yolks
- 6 egg whites
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sliced or chopped hazelnuts (filberts)
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) whipping cream
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) hazelnut liqueur or prepared coffee
- 2 squares semi-sweet chocolate, melted
Dissolve coffee in milk. Place in large mixer bowl with all cake ingredients. Blend
until moistened, then beat 3 min. on medium speed. Pour into three round
9" (23 cm) pans lined with wax paper.
For meringue, in large bowl beat egg
whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating well. Beat until
stiff peaks form. Spread over cake batter in all 3 pans sealing to edge.
Sprinkle with hazelnuts; press lightly into meringue. Bake at 350 F (180 C)
35-40 min until golden. Cool cake in pans 30 min. Remove and cool on racks.
Beat cream with liqueur until stiff. Spread half over meringue side of one cake
layer. Top with second layer (meringue side up), remaining whipped cream and
final layer with meringue on top. Drizzle with chocolate. Chill.