Scrumptious Chocolate Wreath
Contributed by: News Canada
- 3 1/2 - 4 cups Five Roses White flour (875 ml / 1 L) with Wheat Bran
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) quick-rise instant yeast
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) each: milk and water
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) margarine, melted
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (250 ml) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup (250 ml) chopped maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup (50 ml) packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (25 ml) margarine
- 2 tsp (10 ml) ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 tsp (20 ml) each: margarine and water
Reserve 1 cup (250 ml) flour. Combine remaining flour, sugar, salt and yeast in
large bowl. Heat milk, water, margarine and chocolate until hot to touch. Stir
into dry ingredients. Mix in eggs and enough reserved flour to make soft dough.
Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic. Cover; let rest 10
min. Divide dough into 3 equal parts. Roll each part into 24 x 4-inch (60 x
Mix chocolate, cherries, pecans, sugar, margarine and cinnamon. Spread evenly
over each of 3 dough parts approx. 1 inch (2.5 cm) of edge. Starting at long
edge, roll as for jelly roll. Pinch seam to seal. Braid 3 rolls and form into a
wreath; pinch to seal. Place on greased baking sheet. Cover; let rise until
doubled in size.
Bake at 350 F (180 C) for 35 to 40 min.
Melt chocolate, margarine and water over hot water. Drizzle over cooled bread.