Mashed Butternut Squash with Brown Sugar
Contributed by: NAPSA
Thanksgiving is a time for friends and family to give thanks to one another and enjoy a great feast. If you are carefully watching your weight, you don't have to feel left out during these festive times of the year. Just follow these helpful tips and recipes to keep you on track and enjoy the fruits of your labour.
See also: Enjoy your Thanksgiving feast without the post-holiday guilt.
- 1 medium butternut squash (about 1lb/500g), washed, cut in half, with seeds and stringy parts removed
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) brown sugar
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp (0.5 mL) ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL ) grated orange peel (orange part only, with no white pith)
Preheat oven to 400°F (200 C)
In a shallow baking dish, place squash halves cut-side down. Cover with foil and bake 30 to 45 minutes, or until flesh is tender when pierced with a fork.
Remove from oven, peel, and cut into cubes.
In a large bowl, combine cubed squash, brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, and orange peel. Mash together or, using an electric mixer, beat on medium speed
Calories: 71 Fat: 0.2 g