Pumpkin Gingerbread with Caramel Sauce
Contributed by: NAPSA
Pumpkins, not just for Halloween decoration!
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) margarine
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) cooked pumpkin
- 1/3 cup (75 ml) molasses
- 2 cups (500 ml) Five Roses All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp. (5 ml) each: baking soda, ground cinnamon and ginger
- 1/4 tsp. (1 ml) each: ground cloves, salt
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) buttermilk or soured milk
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) raisins or nuts, optional
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) margarine
- 1 1/4 cups (300 ml) cups packed brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) corn syrup
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) whipping cream
In a bowl, with electric mixer, cream margarine and sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg, pumpkin and molasses.
In separate bowl mix together flour, baking soda, spices and salt. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Stir in raisins or nuts, if
Pour into greased 9-inch (23 cm) square baking pan; smooth top with knife.
Bake at 350 F (180 C) for 40 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve warm with Caramel Sauce.
In a saucepan over medium high heat, melt margarine. Stir in sugar and syrup. Bring to boil, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves. Stir in whipping cream,
return to boil. Remove from heat.