Greenhouse Cucumber Mint Raita with Tandoori-Style Chicken Sticks
Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - The fragrant spiciness of the tandoori chicken is tempered by the coolness of the crisp cucumber and silky yogourt and enlivened by the fresh mint. For an eye-catching, totally edible presentation, spoon the raita into a hollowed out greenhouse tomato.
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) plain yogurt
- 4 tsp (2 mL) paprika
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) each ground coriander, cumin and cayenne
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) minced fresh gingerroot
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 tsp (4 mL) salt
- 1 1/2 lbs (750 g) boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into chunks
Cucumber Mint Raita:
- 1-1/2 cups (375 mL) unpeeled shredded Ontario Greenhouse Cucumber, squeezed dry, chopped
- 1 cup (250 mL) plain yogurt
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) chopped fresh mint
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- 2 tsp (10 mL) sugar
- Salt and pepper
For Chicken Sticks:
Combine yogurt, paprika, coriander, cumin, cayenne, gingerroot, garlic and salt in a large bowl; stir in chicken. Cover and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight; stir
Thread chicken pieces onto 6 wooden* or metal skewers. Place chicken directly on preheated grill. Cook, with lid closed, over medium-high heat 5 or 6
minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in the centre, turning occasionally.
Serve chicken sticks with Cucumber Mint Raita.
* Soak wooden skewers in water 30 minutes before using.
For Cucumber Mint Raita:
Combine cucumber, yogurt, mint, lemon juice and sugar in a medium bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate up to 4 hours before serving.
Serving Size: Makes 6 servings and 1 3/4 cups (425 mL)