Go Nuts With Pistachios!
Contributed by: Chris, WebAdmin. of RecipesNow.com
Canadian's love nuts - and not just as a snack in a
bowl. There is a growing trend towards including nuts in a variety of entree, snack and dessert
recipes. In fact, according to a recent AC Neilsen study, shelled nuts are one of the fastest
growing grocery categories on the market.
If you're thinking of adding the healthful flavour of nuts to your diet, try cracking open
California pistachios. They contain essential vitamins and minerals and more importantly contain
mostly monounsaturated fat, which physicians now agree can help decrease LDL ('bad')
cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease.
California pistachios are a smart choice for a snack or a popular addition to any recipe.
They add flair and colour, to make even the most basic recipe upscale, delicious and
Tips for using California pistachios:
- Add California pistachios to rice or to vegetable stir fry
- Grind pistachios and use to coat meat/fish fillets
- Add pistachios to fruit and vegetable salads for added flavour and texture
- Roll a cheese ball in chopped pistachios and serve with crackers as an appetizer
- Sprinkle chopped pistachios as a topping on ice cream or frozen yogurt
- Substitute chopped pistachios for any other nut when baking cakes, cookies or muffins, or
for coating home-baked breads
- For a tasty and healthy after-school snack, combine dried fruits such as, apricots or raisins
with pistachios and pumpkin seeds
- Press pistachios into low-fat cheese, broil and serve on sourdough bread
- For a great trail mix, combine equal portions of bite-size wheat, toasted corn and rice cereals
with fat free pretzels and pistachios
Whether you are entertaining family or friends, or preparing for a special occasion like a bridal
shower or brunch, the following is an easy, yet elegant dessert that will surely impress your family