Contributed by: News Canada
(NC) - The authentic flavour of a traditional Greek dish
in a simplified version.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 lb Lean Ground Beef 500 g
- 1 tbsp tomato paste 15 mL
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley 30 mL
- 1/2 cup beef stock 125 mL
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs 50 mL
- 2 eggplants (approx. 6-8" each)
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese 75 mL
- 1 package (25 g) Bechamel or white sauce mix
- 1 cup milk 250 mL
Cook onions with ground beef, stirring until browned.
Add tomato paste, salt and pepper to taste, parsley and beef stock and simmer for 15 minutes,
Stir in 3 tbsp (45 mL) breadcrumbs. Set aside.
Meanwhile, prepare sauce by combining sauce mix with milk and cooking until thickened.
Grease 9" (22 cm) square casserole.
Cut eggplants in 3/8" (1 cm) slices.
To assemble moussaka, place a layer of eggplant slices on the bottom, add half of the ground
beef mixture and sprinkle with 1/2 Parmesan cheese. Repeat and end with a layer of eggplant.
Pour sauce over top and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan and breadcrumbs.
Bake in 350 F (180( C) oven for 45 minutes.
Preparation Time: 25-30 minutes - Cooking Time: 45 minutes
Serving Size: Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information: Per Serving: 296 Calories - 21 g Protein - 15 g Fat - 20 g Carbohydrates