Contributed by: Chris, WebAdmin. of RecipesNow.com
- 3 tablespoons plus 1 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound beef skirt steak, trimmed of all visible fat
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 medium onion, cut into eight wedges
- 5 scallions
- 8 fat-free flour tortillas (8-inch diameter)
- 1 large tomato, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1 cup of your favorite salsa (optional)
In a medium glass or stainless-steel bowl, combine 3 tablespoons of the cilantro, the garlic, cumin,
black pepper and salt. Rub into the steaks and let stand in the bowl for five minutes. Pour the lime
juice over the steaks. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for one hour.
Preheat the grill or broiler.
Grill the steak or broil 4 inches from the heat for three to four minutes per side for medium-rare
to medium, or until cooked to taste. At the same time, grill or broil the bell peppers, onion wedges
and scallions for six to eight minutes, or until nicely charred. Thinly slice the steak and arrange on a
platter with the grilled vegetables.
Warm the tortillas on the grill or under the broiler for 10 seconds per side, or until soft and
Place in a basket. Place the tomatoes, red onions, the remaining 1 cup cilantro, sour cream and salsa
in individual serving bowls.
To serve, let the diners place some of the sliced beef and grilled vegetables on a tortilla, and
spoon some of the tomatoes, red onions, cilantro, sour cream and salsa on top. Roll up the tortilla
like an envelope and eat with your hands.
Cooking tip: Fajitas often are served in hot, sizzling skillets at the table. Preheat a
cast-iron skillet in a 400 F oven for 15 minutes. Just before serving, transfer the beef and vegetables
to the skillet.
They immediately will start sizzling. Warn your guests not to touch the hot skillet.
Serving Size: Makes 8
Nutritional Information: Per two fajitas: Calories 459, Total fat 13.4 grams, Saturated fat 5.3 grams, Cholesterol 62 milligrams