Egg and Ham Cup
Contributed by: News Canada
Eggs-traordinary: Top 10 reasons to put eggs back on your menu
(NC) - Eggs are delicious and versatile, and can be included as a nutritious part of a healthy diet. Recent studies published in the Medical Science Monitor and The Journal of Nutrition show that healthy adults concerned about cholesterol levels do not have to limit egg consumption.
Need more proof? Here's a top ten list of why you should make eggs part of your healthy lifestyle:
- Scientific research has shown that eating an average of one egg per day will not cause a significant change in total blood cholesterol levels.
- Eggs contain only 70 calories, are low in saturated fat, and have no trans fat.
- Try omega-3 eggs. Omega-3 fatty acids have been shown to help manage heart disease.
- Health Canada's Eating Well with Canada's Food Guide considers two eggs as a serving of Meat and Alternatives.
- Canadian eggs meet the criteria for the Heart and Stroke Foundation's Health Check program, which tells you eggs are a healthy choice.
- The protein in eggs helps with weight loss and maintenance by controlling the rate your body absorbs calories so you feel fuller longer. The protein in eggs also gives you lasting energy to help you stay active and alert throughout your day.
- Eggs contain 14 essential nutrients including vitamins A, D, B12 and E and selenium, riboflavin, iron, niacin and folate.
- To keep your heart healthy, exercise regularly, maintain a healthy weight and choose nutritious foods more often. Eggs fit into a healthy lifestyle.
- Scrambling to come up with last minute healthy meal ideas? Eggs are exceptionally versatile and are quick and easy to prepare.
- Eggs taste great. Heart healthy recipes can be found online at www.eggs.ca.
Preparation: 5 minutes - Cooking Time: 2 minutes 30 seconds
- Vegetable Spray
- 1 slice deli ham 1
- 1 green onion, finely chopped 1
- 2 tbsp shredded Cheddar cheese 30 mL
- 2 eggs 2
- 2 tbsp low fat plain yogurt or sour cream 30 mL
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tsp finely chopped fresh parsley 10 mL
Spray a 10 oz (300 mL) microwaveable mug or cup with vegetable spray. Place ham slice in mug. Sprinkle with onion and 1 tbsp (15 mL) shredded cheese. In a small bowl, beat together eggs, yogurt and pepper until blended; pour into ramekin. Sprinkle with parsley and remaining cheese. Cover loosely with plastic wrap, turning it back slightly to vent.
Microwave on medium-high (70%) until cooked as desired, about 2 - 1/2 to 3 minutes. Remove from microwave but do not remove plastic wrap; let stand for 1 minute. Remove plastic wrap and serve.
Serving Size: Makes 8 Servings